Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice Position Description: Administrative Assistant
As of: January 30, 2018
Do you have a passion for social justice but administration and communications are really your forte? Are you looking to work with an advocacy organization doing mission and values driven work? Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice (UUSJ), a faith-based non-profit seeks an Administrative Assistant (AA) for a part-time position in the Washington D.C. area.
Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice (UUSJ) is a 501(c)(3)(h) organization, a national organization that mobilizes and amplifies the voices of Unitarian Universalists across the country to serve as their denominational voice in Washington, DC. A volunteer-driven organization, UUSJ currently comprises individual members nationwide and 16 regional member congregations in nearby areas of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
About the Administrative Assistant Position – Overview
UUSJ requires a part-time contract (18 hours per week) administrative assistant (AA) located in the Washington, DC. area, with a minimum of two years of experience and substantial technical skills who can work independently to carry out organizational support, including communications, database management (Salsa CRM), donor contribution processing, print and electronic document preparation, website (WordPress CMS) and social media development, event support, and other related responsibilities as required. The AA reports to the Executive Director.
(1) Communications and correspondence — ensure and prepare communications and share information such as through eBlasts with UUSJ Board members, committees, task groups, special UUSJ groups and outside groups; answer telephone calls and mail (written and emails); gather, compile and manage event notices and news items for eNews and posting to the website; send Board meeting notices and documents.
(2) Board support — coordinate all aspects of Board meetings (quarterly); prepare and send pre-event notices, reminders and materials; reserve meeting space and AV equipment; prepare the online event registration page; prepare name badges and registration lists; post and update Board documents on the website; copy material for the Board meeting; provide on-site support such as registration, organize for refreshments, ensure UUSJ materials and display board are in place, take notes, set-up and clean-up for meeting; and perform post-event follow-up tasks including maintaining current Board member lists in DropBox, website, listservs, and other documents.
(3) Database management — maintain and ensure the accuracy and integrity of data, input and output and all aspects of the contact relationship management system (CRM) (Salsa).
(4) Donor and grant management — maintain records and coordinate with volunteer Treasurer to manage donations; implement membership, donor and congregational fundraising campaigns; prepare donation reports, maintain records in DropBox; send thank-you letters to donors, file incoming and outgoing grant documents, and maintain records and due dates for grants.
(5) Event support — contribute to the planning for major events; coordinate and provide pre-event, onsite and post-event logistics support for all Board meetings and other events as needed;
(6) Print and electronic document development and management — design, develop and produce products such as UUSJ’s monthly electronic newsletter (eNews), flyers, posters, brochures, bookmarks, and toolkits; maintain document files in DropBox.
(7) Website and social media — maintain and update UUSJ’s website, add and/or refresh new content weekly, maintain online website calendar, improve design and functionality, prepare and post content regularly on Facebook and Twitter, and prepare monthly analytics reports.
(8) General Administration — maintain and update the administrative calendar and Policy and Procedures Manual; maintain an adequate supply of office materials, postage and mailing supplies; prepare mailings; maintain records of vendors accounts; prepare Combined Federal Campaign application; manage the placement of ads; participate in regularly scheduled team meetings.
- Two years of college;
- Minimum of two years of experience working in administrative position with similar responsibilities including increasing experience working on websites with demonstrated ability to add and edit content. Extensive directly-relevant volunteer experience would be evaluated;
- Motivated self-starter with strong time management skills, a demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff and key volunteers;
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, analytical and planning skills;
- Demonstrated experience using all aspects of a CRM (such as Salsa), especially supporter and donation functions;
- Evidence of moderate skill producing print and electronic materials (including graphic design and production);
- Strong demonstrated computer skills and knowledge of full complement of software such as Microsoft Office;
- Strong proofreading and editorial skills;
- Demonstrated ability to write in a clear style for announcements, short articles, and website information pages;
- Demonstrated ability to write for and use social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter);
- Basic project management experience and use of software or spreadsheets to track projects;
- Demonstrated experience organizing and managing meetings, events and conferences for up to 50 people.
Additional preferred qualifications: experience working or volunteering extensively for a social justice or faith-based organization;
- experience or demonstrated interest in public policy advocacy work;
- compelling personal commitment to social justice consistent with UU values;
- exceptional writing ability;
- fundraising experience and knowledge of principles;
- editorial management experience;
- photo/video production and editing skills;
- making WordPress updates, adding plug-ins, etc.;
- demonstrated use of DropBox and Salsa;
- basic use of html.
Salary and Work Schedule
This contract position is 18-20 hours per week, with additional hours when necessary. Salary is $16-$18 per hour based on experience. Must be able to work a minimum of three days per week (days subject to agreement). Work year is 11 months (off mid-July to mid-August). Periodic evening or weekend work is required as is attendance at meetings, usually on Saturdays and some evenings. For information about UUSJ visit our website at www.uusj.org.
No benefits are provided.
- You can work from your home office most of the time, subject to parameters articulated elsewhere in this post and agreement upon offer terms
- Transportation costs reimbursed
The Administrative Assistant is expected to be located in the Washington, DC area.
The incumbent must have a home or other office with telephone, computer with Microsoft Office or Apple equivalent, printer, scanner and other necessary equipment to carry out responsibilities. A computer video camera is required since many meetings are held by video conferencing using Zoom.
Must be able to travel for meetings (transportation costs reimbursed).
How to Apply
Applicants should respond by February 19, 2018. Position will be open until filled.
Please send your resume, a cover letter explaining why you want to work at UUSJ, two past writing samples and any other documentation that you would like to provide to support your demonstrated experience, such as training certifications or awards, or work products such as flyer, project management spreadsheet, website work, etc.
Email submissions required. Inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants should respond by February 19, 2018.
- Position will be open until filled.
- Target start date of March 12, 2018.